Edit : Tried it with Windows 8 and it worked. So safe to say this info applies to Windows 8 also.
The day of realizing that you can’t “try” stuff on your live web-site for me was yesterday. Not that I didn’t know better but when you have very few users you don’t mind taking down the site and restore from a backup if something goes wrong. Lately this site of mine gets about 40-50 unique users per day so finally I decided to set up a local version of my joomla 2.5 website so I can try new features, arrangements and plugins without the risk of disappointing 50 souls on the world.
I downloaded WampServer 2.2 with PHP 5.3.13 from http://www.wampserver.com and set it up successfully. I took my site’s backup with Akeeba (it’s a nice tool for backing up both your files and database for joomla by the way) and used kickstart to restore it on my localhost.
Everything went well until I finished restoring the site and navigate to the front page… a blank page it was, even the “view source” turned blank. Furthermore a new installation of joomla worked flawlessly. So it was one of my installed plugins, but which one? No no no I didn’t try each don’t worry…
The page was working fine on live server but not on localhost. So I started digging… After spending some quality time with my old friend google I figured I needed to turn error reporting on There it was; one of my plugins needed php curl extension and was throwing some nasty exception, causing mayhem.
A simple phpinfo check revealed that I didn’ t have curl enabled. No problem.. I went to the WampServer tray icon PHP -> PHP Extensions -> php_curl and was frustrated to see that it didn’t work…
It was supposed to fix the issue and for many people as far as I could tell from the posts all over the web it really did. Just not for me.
After a few more hours of googling and hair pulling, I stumbled upon a forum post reply (and an off topic one) saying something about a corrupt php_curl.dll !!
And that was it. The php_curl.dll file that came with WampServer 2.2 distribution was the issue for me. I downloaded php_curl-5.3.13-VC9-x64.zip from http://www.anindya.com/php-5-4-3-and-php-5-3-13-x64-64-bit-for-windows/ and extracted dll file in the extension folder. Finally solved the problem at 3 am in the morning. (There is something special about 3 am, that’s when I seem to hit the spot generally.)
I hope it helps some other poor soul out there wondering why s/he can’t get the curl extension to work…
Edit : Every time I setup wamp from start, I seem to forget the steps to enable curl. So here is a simple todo list as a self-note.
1. Setup wamp.
2. From wamp icon select PHP > PHP extensions > php_curl (it needs to be checked)
3. Extract php_curl.dll from the zip and copy it to PHP extension directory (mine is c:\wamp\bin\php\php5.3.13\ext)
4. Restart all services from the wamp menu
5. Go to localhost and click phpinfo() link and see that curl is there…